To create a new tutor with SimStPLE:
1. Design Tutor - use DorminTables for entry items. If you wish SimSt to learn done, include a JCommButton and ensure that it is named done.
2. (optional) Write new FoaGetter and SkillNameGetter for your interface, if you like. If you don't have FoaGetter, you must specify FoA by double clicking the GUI elements. If you wish SimSt to learn done, you need a SkillNameGetter that will return the done skillname. Otherwise if you don't have SkillNameGetter, it's just fine, but it slows down SimSt learning.
3. Download and unzip the SimStPLEToolkit
4. Put your tutor interface code and FoaGetter and SkillNameGetter into the Tutor folder
5. Change the Tutor folder to your interface's package name
6. Update tutor, package, FoaGetter and SkillNameGetter name in files:
7. Run compileTutor.sh
8. Run runTutorCtat.sh and switch Ctat's Tutor Type to Cognitive Tutor (Jess). Create an empty start state called init. Save Jess facts and templates & close Ctat
9. In wmeTypes.clp add a (slot value) to MAIN::button
10 Open the file “wmeStructure.txt” and modify it based on your interface design. This file has 3 sections:
a. Section one: Parent - child WMEs
b. Section two: terminal WMEs
c. Section three: ignored WMEs
You should create a wmeStructure.txt file that corresponds to your interface. To identify the type of wme’s you have (e.g. parent-child or terminal), you have to open the file “wmeTypes.clp” and take a look at the Jess templates defined there. If a template contains a “multislot” value, then this template is a parent wme and the multislot is the child wme. For example if you on your wmeTypes.clp this template:
(deftemplate MAIN:table (slot name) (multislot columns))
(deftemplate MAIN:textfield (slot name) (slot value)),
this indicates a terminal wme and you should create an entry " MAIN:textfield ” in your wmeStructure.txt terminal section.
11. Change runTutor.sh to use your FoaGetter and SkillNameGetter or remove these lines
12. Update simSt-config.txt to fit your tutor:
13. (optional) Replace IntroductionToSimStudent.avi with your own introduction video (by the same name). Avi codecs used must be supported by JMF
14. (optional) Run runTutor.sh if you wish to provide prior knowledge. Tutor SimStudent with the prior knowledge you wish used. Make certain to hit the Tutor Lucy Next Problem button one last time at the end to transition off of the last problem given. Close SimStudent and change the name of instructions.txt to instructions-9_initial.txt
15. Run runTutor.sh to use your PLE Tutor